ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-14, 0-4 CAC) fell this evening to CAC competitor Southern Virginia (14-4, 2-2 CAC). This is the first of two matchups between the Seahawks and Knights that will take place during the 2019-2020 regular season.
St. Mary’s College – 59, Southern Virginia – 85
How it Happened
- The Knights took a strong lead in the first quarter scoring 22 points opposed to the Seahawks’ six points. Gina Seifert, Kyaira Priest, and Stephanie Howell each recorded two points in the first quarter, four of those points were from inside the paint. Seifert led the team with two rebounds, while Howell and Priest contributed one each.
- The Seahawks found their stride offensively in the second quarter by tallying 18 total points, Seifert contributed nine of those points. Priest drained five points total in the second quarter which was good for second on the team. The Seahawks were able to score two points off of fastbreaks and two points off of turnovers. Entering halftime, the Seahawks trailed by 21 points.
- During the third quarter, the Seahawks recorded 19 points compared to the Knights’ 21 points. Seifert and Priest tallied five points each, while Ashleigh Bonanno contributed four points. Caitlin Mays added two points for St. Mary’s College along with Kelli Jenkins who added three points. Despite St. Mary’s College finding success offensively, the Knights were still able to go on a ten-point scoring run bringing their lead to 23 points entering the final quarter.
- Howell entered the fourth quarter with some offensive fire tallying five points for the Seahawks, which was good for best on the team. Seifert contributed defensively with three rebounds. St. Mary’s College was able to score three points off of fast breaks, six from inside the paint and five off of turnovers. Both Jenkins and Priest contributed one assist in the fourth quarter. Southern Virginia was able to bring their lead to 26 points making them victorious at the final buzzer.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert led the team in scoring this afternoon with 18 points total. Not far behind was junior guard, Priest who tallied 16 points. Seifert also led the team in rebounds with nine total. Priest led the team in assists and steals, with three assists and six steals.
- For Southern Virginia, Katie Garrish recorded a double-double with 15 points and ten rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 29 vs. Christopher Newport University | 6:00 PM | Michael P. O’Brien ARC Arena
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II