FREDRICKSBURG, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-11) fell this evening (Jan.11) to Capital Athletic Conference competitor, University of Mary Washington (12-3). This was the third game out of five where St. Mary’s College is playing on the road consecutively.
St. Mary’s College – 33, Mary Washington – 61
How it Happened
- The Eagles started strong with a 14 point scoring run. However,Stephanie Howelldrained a three-point shot to put the Seahawks on the board. Defensively,Cameron Mangoldsnagged two rebounds in the first quarter.
- Offensively, the Eagles started the second quarter strong with a nine-point-scoring run giving Mary Washington a 20 point lead.Tory Martin, fouled puttingMangoldon the free-throw line, which ended the Eagles’ scoring run with adding two points for the Seahawks. St. Mary’s College hit a stride after the foul to go on a four-point scoring run. The Eagles capitalized on a few fouls giving them a 20 point lead entering half time.Mangoldsunk six points in the second quarter which led the Seahawks in points.
- Entering the second half,Mangolddrained a jump shot putting the Seahawks on the scoreboard. Defensively,Howellsnagged five rebounds to keep the ball on St. Mary’s College’s offensive end. The Seahawks were able to put up seven points in the third quarter compared to the Eagles’ 14 points.
- The Seahawks started the fourth quarter with a 27 point deficit. Offensively, St. Mary’s College had five different scorers but only put up 14 points compared to Mary Washington recording 15 points. The Seahawks’ tenacity and determination kept a respectable gap from Mary Washington and it was not enough to keep them at bay. The matchup ended with a final score of 61-33 in favor of the Eagles.
Inside the Box Score
- Mangoldled the team this evening in points with 10 total. BothKyaira PriestandGina Seiferttied this evening in assists with two apiece andHowellcontributed five rebounds.
- Karissa Highlanderwas the main offensive threat for the Eagles, leading the team with 12 points total.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 15 at York College | 6:00 PM | Charles Wolf Gymnasium