ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (2-6) was victorious this evening against Wesley College (4-6). This win marks a two-game winning streak for the Seahawks.
St. Mary’s College – 50, Wesley College – 46
How it Happened
- Kelli Jenkinsgave the Seahawks their strong start with making two free-throws off a foul to start the game. St. Mary’s College quickly took a lead by taking a nine-point lead after a ten-point scoring run.Kyaira Priestcontributed four of those points. Wesley ended the first quarter with two free-throw shots bringing the score to 16-9, in the Seahawks’ favor.
- The second quarter began with solid defensive plays withGinaSeifertandCaitlin Mayssnagging rebounds.Cameron Mangoldtallied three rebounds in the second quarter.Mangoldalso brought the score to 24-13 with St. Mary’s College leading with 11 points. The Wolverines then gained some momentum and brought their score deficit to four points at the conclusion of the second quarter.
- Maysmade a big start for the Seahawks in the third quarter by draining both a layup and the free-throw shot that followed. A quick six-point scoring run gave the Seahawks a bit of a cushion on their lead.Seifertended the quarter by draining a free-throw bringing the Seahawks’ lead to 14 points.
- Kierra Johnsonentered the final quarter with intensity by tallying a block and one free-throw shot as soon as she took the court. St. Mary’s College held a 13 point lead for the majority of the fourth quarter. The Wolverines caught a second wind bringing the score to 47-41. However,MaysandJenkinsscored last-minute points which pushed the Seahawks into their second consecutive win.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertled the team with a double-double, recording a team-best 16 points and 4 rebounds.Maystook the top spot for assists with three total.MangoldandSeifertled the team in steals with three apiece.
- Seifertis now also leading the team in points per game with 12.1 being her average. For her efforts today,Mangoldnow leads the team in steals per game with an average of 2.7.Jenkinsnow holds a 75% free-throw percentage which is good for the best on the team.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 15 vs. Eastern Mennonite University | 4:00 P.M. | MPOBARC Arena
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks