ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (0-3) fell this evening (Nov. 19) to Catholic University (4-0) in a non-conference game.
St. Mary’s College – 54, Catholic – 75
How it Happened
- The first quarter was very back and forth with the Seahawks playing an incredible defensive game. With two minutes and 35 seconds left on the clock in the quarter, St. Mary’s College took the lead with a layup from Kyaira Priest making the score 9-7. Kierra Johnson then secured a defensive rebound which led to Johnson’s first basket of the evening making the score 11-7. With five seconds left in the first quarter, the Cardinals and Seahawks were tied at 13-13. Catholic forward, Sydney Poindexter made one free throw making the score 14-13 entering the second quarter.
- Catholic went on a 12 point scoring run in the second quarter bringing the score to 31-16. A few missed shots on the Seahawks’ behalf resulted in the Cardinals taking a 14 point lead into half time. Kelli Jenkins made a three-point shot off of an assist from Gina Seifert giving the Seahawks their first points on the board in the third quarter. Ashleigh Bonanno made some crucial defensive rebounds which helped keep the Cardinals at bay.
- Catholic started the fourth quarter strong making a nine-point scoring run. Jenkins put the run to an end by draining a three-point shot, bringing the score to 67-39. With four minutes left on the clock, the Seahawks and Cardinals displayed impressive defense holding each other scoreless for two minutes. Caitlin Mays made both of her free-throws after a foul 73-54.
Inside the Box Score
- Jenkins and Mays were the two top scorers this evening, Jenkins scoring 14 points and Mays tallying 13. Jenkins still holds the top spot for field-goal percentage at 47.6%. Mays reached her season-high field-goal percentage this evening at 45%.
- Priest and Seifert are tied for the team’s best steals per game at 3.0. Defensively, Stephanie Howell and Mays are tied for rebounds per game with 4.7
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 23 at N.C. Wesleyan | 7:30 P.M. | Everett Gymnasium
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II