Submitted by Drennon Kimpton, McKayala 2020
WALDORF, MD – Mckayla Wilkes, Progressive Democratic candidate for Maryland’s 5th Congressional District, on Majority Leader Steny Hoyer’s position on healthcare coverage in America.
“The Affordable Care Act represented a huge change in the American healthcare system. However, since its enactment, we have all seen how the Republicans and the Courts have attacked the complicated aspects of the ACA to hurt working people. Furthermore, as President Obama himself recently said, the ACA cannot fully solve the healthcare crisis in this country. The only way we can ensure that every American can go to the doctor without going bankrupt is with Medicare For All. Unfortunately, Rep. Hoyer is an obstacle to this dream and believes the ACA is good enough. When I am in Congress I promise to ensure that this dream becomes a reality. Hoyer does not have the courage and vision for the systemic changes we need in America. His stance on healthcare is just another example of that fact.”
Mckayla Wilkes’ Healthcare Platform includes but is not limited to:
- Universal healthcare for every single American within two years, including any veteran, left uncovered by the Veteran Affairs health system.
- Ensuring that mental health services are covered under Medicare For All.
- Securing that the constitutional right to an abortion is accessible under Medicare For All regardless of income or geography.
- Repealing the Hyde Amendment and reversing the Trump administration’s gag rule for the Title X program and the global gag rule.
- The elimination of premiums, deductibles, and copays.