ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (12-4, 2-3 CAC) hosted the visiting No. 13 Christopher Newport University Captains (13-4, 4-1 CAC) on Wednesday (Oct. 30) evening in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks were edged by the Captains 1-0 in their final regular-season game of the season. St. Mary’s College officially locked up the No. 3 seed in the CAC Tournament and will host Southern Virginia on Saturday, Nov. 2 at 2:00 p.m.
St. Mary’s College – 1, No. 13 Christopher Newport – 0
How It Happened
- The Captains jumped out to an early lead with the lone goal of the game in the ninth minute of action. Abby Asuncion deflected a shot that snuck by Kelbey Egerland for the lead. St. Mary’s College struggled to find scoring opportunities in the opening half with just three shots recorded.
- In the second half, the Seahawks competed at a high level and outshot the Captains 4-1. However, CNU packed their defense in tight and made the Seahawks work for their scoring opportunities. St. Mary’s College was unable to find the back of the cage and fell 1-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Meghan Ronanled the Seahawks on the offensive end with four shots on goal.Celina KaufmanandVeronica Maringfollowed with one shot on goal each. On the defensive end,Sophie CarlsonandAngelina Arterrecorded one defensive save each.
- As a team, the Seahawks were edged 9-7 in shots and 13-8 in penalty corners.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 2 vs. Southern Virginia | 2:00 p.m. | CAC Tournament First Round | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks