YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (12-2, 2-1 CAC) prevailed over the York College Spartans (9-7, 2-1 CAC) in a Capital Athletic Conference battle on Wednesday (Oct. 23) evening. The Seahawks edged the Spartans 2-1.
St. Mary’s College – 2, York – 1
How It Happened
- Both squads played solid defense in the first half with the Seahawks only managing to fire off two shots compared to York’s four. The Spartans earned six penalty corners in the second quarter, but the Seahawk defense quickly shut down any scoring opportunity the Spartans tried to create.
- St. Mary’s College found their offensive rhythm to begin the second half with two goals in the third quarter. Meghan Ronan recorded the Seahawk’s first goal in the 34th minute off of a feed from Gabrielle Corder. Next, the Seahawks extended their lead to two when Hannah Dietrich flung a shot into the back of the cage off of an initial save by the York goalkeeper. The Spartans made the game interesting towards the end of regulation with a goal from Abby Piotrowski in the 57th minute. However, St. Mary’s College played shutdown defense for the remaining three minutes to capture the crucial conference victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Ronanrecorded her ninth goal of the season and now has 25 points. Both totals lead the Seahawks.Cordertallied her ninth assist of the season which leads the Seahawks andDietrichnotched her third goal of the year. In goal,Kelbey Egerlandearned her 12th victory of the season and collected four saves. Additionally,Sophie Carlsonrecorded her first defensive save of the season.
- The Seahawks were edged by the Spartans on the stat sheet as York finished with 15 shots compared to the Seahawks’ eight. The Spartans also bested the Seahawks in penalty corners, 15-6.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 26 vs. Mary Washington | 1:00 PM | Senior Day | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks