SALISBURY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (5-18,0-7) continued their season against the Salisbury University Sea Gulls (14-8, 3-4) in a Capital Athletic Conference matchup Saturday afternoon (Oct. 19). The Seahawks dropped the match 3-2.
St. Mary’s College – 2, Salisbury University – 3
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College and Salisbury University went point for point in the first set until they reached and even 15-15. The two teams continued to trade punches all the way to 25-25. The Seahawks would go up 26-25 and from there Chanel Lucas slammed home the ball for a 27-25 first set win over the Sea Gulls.
- Salisbury jumped out to a 12-6 lead in the second set and never looked back as they took the set 25-17.
- The third set mirrored the second as the Sea Gulls jumped out to an early lead and comfortably won the third with a score of 25-15.
- The Seahawks came ready to play in the fourth set as both teams were tied early at 8-8. St. Mary’s College won six of the next eight points to take a 14-10 lead heading into a Salisbury timeout. Salisbury chipped away at the Seahawks lead until it was 19-18, in favor of the Seahawks. St. Mary’s College pulled away from the Sea Gulls and took the fourth set 25-22, bringing the match to an even 2-2 in sets.
- The fifth set proved to be the most dramatic as the lead would be exchanged several times until the score came to 13-13. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, Salisbury took the last two points for a 15-13 fifth set win.
Inside the Box Score
- Ellyse Sutliff had a big day for the Seahawks as she recorded 18 kills with Erin Krauss right behind her with 13.
- Katie Agate registered 45 assists to lead St. Mary’s College, which was a season-high for the junior.
- Nicole Kreutzinger led the Seahawks in digs with 16 and Lucas followed her with 13.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 23 vs Christopher Newport University | 7:00 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II