OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (10-1) traveled to Stevenson University (5-9) on Wednesday (Oct. 9) afternoon for non-conference play. The Seahawks fell to the Mustangs 1-0 for their first setback of the season.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Stevenson – 1
How It Happened
- The first quarter saw both teams struggle for chances to find the back of the cage. Both the Seahawks and the Mustangs only managed two shots each in the opening stanza. Next, Stevenson took advantage of an opportunity in the second quarter whenBrooke Morrisscored in the 17th minute.
- Trailing by just one score to start the second half, the Seahawks became much more aggressive in the third stanza and held a 6-0 advantage in shots over the Mustangs. However, St. Mary’s College failed to find the back of the cage and was held without a shot in the fourth quarter.
Inside the Box Score
- Meghan Ronanled the Seahawks with three shots andVeronica Maringpaced St. Mary’s College with two shots on goal. In the cage,Kelbey Egerlandwas charged with her first loss of the year and collected two saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks held the advantage in shots (9-8) and penalty corners (9-5). Today’s game marked the first time the Seahawks were held scoreless this season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12 vs. Salisbury | 1:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH |Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks