ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland sailing team competed in two regattas this weekend (Oct. 5-6). One hosted by Georgetown University and the other was on campus taking place on the St. Mary’s River.
How it Happened
- On the Potomac River, one division raced this weekend in the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta. The Seahawks were greeted by overcast skies and cool weather. St. Mary’s College had a total of three boats racing in this regatta and finished tenth, 16th, and 17th. In 17th place with 233 points was Hunter Cutting as the skipper and his crew as Ellie Sekowski for the first seven races and Julia Faranetta for the remaining eight.
- Finishing in 16th place with 189 points were skippers Oscar MacGillivray for the first seven races with Erin McPhillips as his crew. For the remaining eight races the skipper was Chris Booher with Allison Gingerich as the crew. In tenth place, was Jessica Bennett as the skipper for the first seven races along with Genna Viggiano as the crew. For the remaining races, Katherine Bennett was the skipper with Laura Dennison as the crew.
- The St. Mary’s River was also busy this weekend with Hawktoberfest in full swing and the Coed Showcase. Two divisions raced with Seahawks finishing in fifth and 14th place. In Division B, St. Mary’s College finished fifth with 126 points. The skipper was Lewis Cooper and his crew was Sophia Taczak for races one through 14 and Lucas Masiello was his crew for races 15 through 18.
- The Seahawks placed 14th in Division A scoring 203 points. The skipper was Leo Boucher and his crew changed from Ashley Wagner for the first 16 races to Sam Muir for the final two races. Division A and B were combined for an overall score of 329 points which was good for eighth place in the showcase.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12-13 | Women’s Showcase Final | St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- Oct. 12-13 | Oyster Bowl | Old Dominion University
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II