Image courtesy of Charles County Volunteer Fire and Emergency Medical Services

Power washer malfunction blamed in Oak Street blaze

By: David M. Higgins II

Waldorf, MD– On Sunday, October 6, 2019, the Bryans Road Volunteer Fire Department(BRVFD) responded to Oak Street in Indian Head, MD for a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, they discovered a 1 1/2 story single-family home with smoke and flames showing through the garage.

Thirty-nine firefighters controlled the blaze in about 10 minutes.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal responded to began an investigation and discovered that a power washer had malfunctioned. The damage is listed at $60,000.00(structure) and $10,000.00(contents).

There were no injuries during this incident.

The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.

To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at

Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II

© 2019 The Southern Maryland Chronicle. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.