Seized air compressor causes fire scare at Chopticon High

By: David M. Higgins II

UPDATE 2:45 p.m.- The MVFD is reporting that a seized air compressor in the boiler room near the cafeteria is to blame. The areas have been ventilated and students returned back to class. Services to that particular area have been cut off.

No further info will be released unless by officials


UPDATE 12:22 p.m. – The MVFD is reporting that a water pump in a boiler room that burnt out and was the cause of the smoke/fire. Students are being let back into the school now.

Watch for students, personnel, and vehicles as they clean up and return to service


Morganza, MD- The Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department(MVFD) is currently responding to Chopticon High School in Morganza, MD for a reported structure fire.

A School Deputy has stated there is an odor of smoke coming from the rear of the building and coming from the chiller room.

Multiple parents on Facebook are reporting that their children have called or texted them and all students are exiting the building.

Watch for emergency vehicles, personnel, students, and expect delays in the area.

This is a developing story.

Join our email list!

Join our email list! Email subscribers may receive subscriber-only discounts, news, and tips. We only send out an email newsletter twice a month! Thank you!

David M. Higgins II

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in Digital Marketing, eventually leading him back to his passion. David started The Southern Maryland Chronicle in December 2017 and has grown it to become the #1 news source in Southern Maryland.

David M. Higgins II has 11230 posts and counting. See all posts by David M. Higgins II