By: Donna Fuqua, Charles County Public Information Office
La Plata, MD- Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 1, the Department of Planning and Growth Management will no longer accept paper permit and plan applications or submittals.
All plans, drawings, reports, and other supporting documentation must be submitted through the Charles County Permit Portal (or CSS) located at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/pgm/cpis/permits. All plans and drawings must be provided as rendered (not scanned) pdf files.
This portal provides information on the application process, as well as frequently asked questions. To apply, click on “Apply for a Permit/Plan Review” highlighted in green towards the bottom of the page. If you need help applying, visit the Permits Center at the County Government Building (200 Baltimore Street, La Plata). Bring electronic copies of the items necessary to complete your application.
The following exceptions apply:
- Legacy building permits (permits applied for before October 22, 2018) will only be accepted in paper format.
- Commercial Building Permits must be applied for online, but paper copies are to be submitted for review.
- One paper copy for the following plans must be submitted to the Planning Division for Health Department review:
o Preliminary Subdivision Plans
o Final Plat Applications
o Site Development Plans
o Conceptual Subdivision Plans
- A paper copy of all Building Permit Submittals must be submitted by the applicant to the Charles County Health Department for review.
- A paper copy of Development Services plans must be submitted by the applicant to the Charles County Health Department and the Soil Conservation District for review.
- Staff requests paper copies.
- A paper copy of the stamped approved plans will still be required to be located at the construction/work site for inspection purposes.
For more information contact the Department of Planning and Growth Management, at 301-645-0540. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II