WASHINGTON, D.C. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s tennis team (1-0, 0-0 CAC) began their 2019-20 campaign Saturday afternoon as they took on the Cardinals of Catholic University (0-1, 0-0 Landmark).
St. Mary’s – 7, Catholic – 2
- Jon Gorel teamed up with first-year Stephen Alam to take down Catholic’s top duo in Frankie Fortunnti and Eric Macarski 8-4.
- Ethan Garren and Jack Brandenburg followed up with another 8-4 doubles win over Kyle Weber and David Brennan 8-4.
- Ron Stith and Liam Pratt took a close 8-7 match to complete the doubles sweep over Catholic.
- Gorel started off his senior season with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Catholic’s top player in Fortunnti.
- Alam began his college career with a 6-0, 6-0 win in the third spot for the Seahawks.
- Brandenburg defeated Brennan 6-4, 6-3 and Ron Stith took down Dom Mazzeo with a score of 7-5, 6-0.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 17 vs Gettysburg College | 3:30 P.M. | Somerset Tennis Complex
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis| Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II