ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (2-0) competed in their home opener in the completed Jamie L. Roberts Stadium on Wednesday (Sept. 4) evening and defeated the Bridgewater College Eagles (0-3) 2-0. Two first-half goals from Meghan Ronan and Gabrielle Corder propelled the Seahawks to their victory over the Eagles.
How It Happened
- The Eagles started the game by controlling possession on their offensive end of the field during the early segment of the first quarter. However, the Seahawks figured out the Eagle offensive attack and quickly turned the momentum in their favor. St. Mary’s College went on to outshoot the Eagle 5-1 in the opening stanza and recorded their first score of the game from Ronan in the eighth minute.
- The Seahawks brought their momentum from the first quarter into the second, firing off five shots and holding the Eagles to zero. Corder tallied the second goal of the night when she found space and ripped a shot into the back of the cage in the 18th minute.
- Both squads held one another scoreless for the remainder of the game, but the Eagles had their opportunities in the second half to score. Bridgewater was awarded seven penalty corners in the second half of play compared to the Seahawks one. However, the St. Mary’s College defense quickly shut down any scoring opportunities the Eagles created.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned, Ronan and Corder led the Seahawks on the offensive end with one goal each. In addition, Veronica Maring was credited with an assist. In goal, Kelbey Egerland improved to 2-0 on the year and held the Eagles scoreless. She collected two saves in the shutout effort.
- St. Mary’s College held the advantage over Bridgewater in shots (12-3), but the Eagles led the Seahawks in penalty corners (10-5).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 7 vs. Eastern Mennonite | 6 p.m | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II