Hughesville fire blamed on Carpenters Blower Fan

Charles County Volunteer Fire and Emergency Medical Services via Facebook

UPDATE 6/17/2019- The fire occurred in the basement of the home as the result of a Carpenter blower fan being left on.  The basement and first floor of the home suffered significant damage from the fire.  There were no injures as a result of the fire.

The Fire Marshal estimates the damage to be at $300,000.00.


Hughesville, MD- Charles County Volunteer Fire/EMS Units were dispatched to Openfield Place in Hughesville for a reported house fire. Upon arrival, crews located and extinguished a basement fire with extension to the first floor.

Volunteers from Hughesville, La Plata, Waldorf, Benedict and Mechanicsville had the fire under control in 15 minutes. Chief 2(S. Herbert) had the Command. 2 Firefighters were evaluated and released on the scene.

Maryland State Fire Marshall’s Office is investigating.

David M. Higgins II

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in Digital Marketing, eventually leading him back to his passion. David started The Southern Maryland Chronicle in December 2017 and has grown it to become the #1 news source in Southern Maryland.

David M. Higgins II has 11185 posts and counting. See all posts by David M. Higgins II