Men in Black: International (stylized as MIB: International) is a 2019 American science fiction action comedy film directed by F. Gary Gray and written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.
It is a sequel/spin-off from the Men in Black film series, which is loosely based on the Malibu/Marvel comics of the same name by Lowell Cunningham. The film stars Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson, Rebecca Ferguson, Kumail Nanjiani, Rafe Spall, Laurent and Larry Bourgeois, and Liam Neeson, along with Emma Thompson reprising her role from Men in Black 3 and Tim Blaney reprising his role as Frank the Pug from the first two films.
Talks of a fourth Men in Black film began after the release of the Men in Black 3 in 2012. In February 2018, Hemsworth signed on to lead a spin-off while Gray was hired to direct, and Thompson joined the cast the following month. Filming took place in New York City, Morocco, Italy and London from July to October 2018.
Men in Black: International is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on June 14, 2019, by Sony Pictures Releasing. The film received mixed reviews from critics, with criticism for its “lackluster action and forgettable plot”, although the chemistry between Hemsworth and Thompson was praised.
- On Rotten Tomatoes the film holds an approval rating of 29% based on 102 reviews, with an average rating of 4.64/10. The website’s critical consensus reads, “Amiable yet forgettable, MiB International grinds its stars’ substantial chemistry through the gears of a franchise running low on reasons to continue.”
- On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 43 out of 100, based on 36 critics, indicating “mixed or average reviews”.
- Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian called it “Meh in Black, making another intensely tiresome and pointless reappearance” and gave the film 1 out of 5 stars.
- Peter DeBruge of Variety said that “The connection between Tessa Thompson and Hemsworth is what saves the day, not anything their characters do onscreen” and called the film itself “amusing, if uneven”.
- Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune gave the film 2.5 out of 4 stars, writing: “Men in Black: International isn’t bad; it’s an improvement over Men in Black II (2002) and Men in Black 3 (2012), sequels that even its makers may have forgotten. As a species we appear destined to revisit this basic concept and renew the hunt for fresh variations on the zingy, disarming first picture, which brought the Lowell Cunningham comics to the screen so shrewdly and well in 1997.”
Find it in Theaters:
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II