News Release, Maryland Department of Transportation
MDOT SHA MAJOR PLANNED MAJOR LANE CLOSURE UPDATE – JUNE 7, 2019
All Work is Weather Dependent
Real-Time travel conditions and live traffic cameras are available – md511.maryland.gov.
• MD 542 (Loch Raven Blvd.)/Cromwell Bridge Road ramp to the outer loop I-695 AND the outer loop I-695 ramp to Cromwell Bridge Road – Curb/gutter work for major drainage project – Ramp closure and posted detour beginning at 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday, June 10. new
• Padonia Road under the I-83 Bridges – Bridge replacement project – Padonia Road to be closed and detoured beginning at 8 p.m. Sunday until 5 a.m. Monday. new
Queen Anne’s County
• MD 213 (Church Hill Road) Bridge over Gravel Run (south of MD 305 (Hope Road) – Bridge rehabilitation project – Total closure and detour beginning 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. Monday. new
• MD 638 (Parkersburg Road) Bridge over Great Allegany Pass (Western Maryland Scenic Rail System) – Mabey Bridge Replacement – Md 638 to be closed and detoured between June 14 and June 28. new
• Westbound I-68 (National Freeway) near Greene Street – Mountain slope repair project – Right lane closed until early summer.
Anne Arundel County
• Westbound MD 175 (Annapolis Road/Jessup Road) between National Business Parkway and MD 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) – Utility relocation – Single lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
• Northbound I-895 Bridge over the Patapsco Flats (Between MD 295 and the I-97/MD spur) – Bridge rehabilitation – (MDTA project) 24/7 right lane closure until summer 2019.
• I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Throughway) between the tunnels and Boston Street/O’Donnell Street (exit 11) and the Holabird Avenue exit (MDTA Project) – Bridge rehabilitation project – Northbound I-895 to close on November 27 and two-way traffic using southbound I-895. Use I-95 (Fort McHenry Tunnel) or I-695 (Francis Scott Key Bridge) as alternate routes. Project to last until 2021.
• I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Throughway) northbound tunnel (MDTA Project) – Bridge rehabilitation project – Northbound tunnel to be closed on April 12 until early-summer. Traffic will be put into two-way operation using the southbound tunnel.
• Warren Road Bridge over Loch Raven Reservoir (Baltimore City Owned Bridge) – Emergency bridge repair – Road closed until late-summer. Motorists encouraged to use MD 145 (Paper Mill Road).
• Eastbound Padonia Road ramp to northbound I-83 – Ramp closure for bridge replacement project – Motorists will be guided to Deerco Road to the I-83/Timonium Road interchange.
• Bradshaw Road Bridge over I-95 (MDTA Project) – Bridge rehabilitation project – Bridge to close and traffic detoured until spring 2020.
• MD 273 (Telegraph Road) Bridge over Big Elk Creek – Bridge replacement project – Temporary traffic signal to alternate traffic in single lane until spring 2020.
• MD 31 (New Windsor Road) between Oak Orchard Road and Sams Creek Road (near the Carroll County line) – Slope repair – Total closure and local detour. Repair should be complete early July. new
• MD 478 (Knoxville Road) Bridge over Branch of the Potomac River – Bridge replacement project –MD 478 is closed through fall. Local traffic will have access up to the point of the bridge closure. Through motorists will be detoured to MD 17 (Petersville Road/Burkittsville Road) to MD 180 (Jefferson Pike) and back to MD 478. Motorists may also choose US 340 as an alternate route.
• Eastbound US 40 Alternate (Old National Pike) between Fern Lane and Ridge Road – Roadside slope repair – Right truck “climbing” lane and shoulder closed until July.
• MD 28 (Dickerson Road) Bridge over the Monocacy River – Bridge rehabilitation– Single lane closure (24/7) guided by temporary traffic signal until spring 2020. new
Prince George’s County
• HIGH-IMPACT – Southbound I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) ramp to eastbound MD 214 (Central Avenue) – Bridge replacement project – Total ramp closure with traffic using the Capital Beltway/MD 202 (Largo Road) interchange and then to MD 214 via MD 202.
MAJOR Closures for Next Week
• Padonia Road under the I-83 Bridges – Bridge replacement project – Padonia Road to be closed overnights for bridge demolition phase between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Motorists will be guided to the I-83/Timonium Road interchange and back to NB I-83 to Padonia Road.
• Inner loop I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) between Old Harford Road and Lillian Holt Drive (prior to I-95) – Resurfacing – Single and double lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Once inner loop is complete, crews will switch to the outer loop.
• MD 31 (New Windsor Road) between Tahoma Farm Road and MD 140 (Taneytown Pike) – Resurfacing – MD 31 will close from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Motorists will be detoured to from MD 31 to WMC Drive to access MD 140 and MD 31. The project will be complete by the end of June.
• Southbound I-270 at the MD 80 (Fingerboard Road) Interchange and the MD 80 roundabout – Resurfacing – Ramp closures and detours (using MD 109/Old Hundred Road) and flagging operation on the MD 80 Roundabout Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Project should be complete by June 12.
• Westbound I-70 between the Baltimore/Howard County line to just west of Marriottsville Road– Resurfacing – Single and double lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. new
• Southbound MD 32 between Linden Church Road and MD 108 (Clarksville Pike) – Highway widening project – Traffic to shift to newly constructed lanes and crews will rehabilitate the existing lanes for last construction phase of widening project. new
• MD 144A (Frederick Road) between MD 97 (Roxbury Mills Road) and US 40 (Baltimore National Pike) – Pavement patching and repair – Single lane closure Mondays through Fridays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. Project should be complete next week.
• US 29 (Colesville Road) between MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) and St. Andrews Way (near Sligo Creek Parkway) – Resurfacing – Single lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) between north of Goldmine Road and south of Holiday Drive – Bypass construction – Single lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• US 29 (Colesville Road) between I-495 (Capital Beltway) and MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) – WSSC water line replacement project – Single and double lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Sundays through Friday mornings between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Single lane closures Saturday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Prince George’s County
• Southbound US 301 (Crain Highway) between Peerless Avenue and the MD State Police truck scales (near Village Drive) – Resurfacing – On Monday, April 22, crews will begin paving in the southbound direction. Once complete, crews will mill and pave the northbound lanes of US 301. Crews will work from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Project should be complete early summer.
• MD 632 (Downsville Pike) between I-70 and the Hagerstown City limits – Pavement repair/resurfacing – Single lane closures during patching and milling between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Paving will take place between 6 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Project should be complete mid-summer.
• Westbound I-70 Bridge over I-81 (mainline and acceleration/deceleration road bridges) – Paving operations for last phase of the bridge replacement – Single lane closures and temporary ramp closures and detours Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• I-81 between the Potomac River Bridge (West Virginia line) and MD 68/MD 63 (Lappans Road) – Highway widening project – Left lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. There may be occasional, brief total closures to move equipment and material into place between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.
• US 50 (Ocean Gateway) Bridge over Sinepuxent Bay (Harry Kelley Memorial Bridge) – Bridge repair – Single lane closures guided by a flagging operation Mondays through Fridays between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• MD 180 (Jefferson Pike) at Mt. Zion Road – Roundabout construction – On June 20, the MD 180/Mt. Zion Road intersection will be closed. MD 180 will be detoured to US 340 (runs parallel). Mt. Zion Road will be detoured using Stone Road to Teen Barnes Road to MD 180 and back to Mt. Zion Road
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II