News Release, Maryland Department of Transportation
Non-Emergency Lane Closures will be suspended until 9 p.m. Tuesday. MDOT SHA also adding extra CHART patrols to key getaway areas. PLEASE REMIND your audience to stay on US 50 and not jump off onto MD 8 or MD 18 in Queen Anne’s County.
All Work is Weather Dependent
Real-Time travel conditions and live traffic cameras are available – md511.maryland.gov.
MDOT SHA opened of a new Park and Ride at the US 15/Monocacy Boulevard interchange. The new park and ride lot has 400 parking spaces and is transit served to meet the growing travel demands and needs of Frederick commuters.
• Westbound I-68 (National Freeway) near Greene Street – Mountain slope repair project – Right lane closed until early summer.
Anne Arundel County
• Westbound MD 175 (Annapolis Road/Jessup Road) between National Business Parkway and MD 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) – Utility relocation – Single lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
• Northbound I-895 Bridge over the Patapsco Flats (Between MD 295 and the I-97/MD spur) – Bridge rehabilitation – (MDTA project) 24/7 right lane closure until summer 2019.
• HIGH-IMPACT – (MDTA Project) – I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Throughway) between the tunnels and Boston Street/O’Donnell Street (exit 11) and the Holabird Avenue exit. – Bridge rehabilitation project – Northbound I-895 to close on November 27 and two-way traffic using southbound I-895. Use I-95 (Fort McHenry Tunnel) or I-695 (Francis Scott Key Bridge) as alternate routes. Project to last until 2021.
• HIGH-IMPACT – (MDTA Project) – I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Throughway) northbound tunnel – Bridge rehabilitation project – Northbound tunnel to be closed on April 12 until early-summer. Traffic will be put into two-way operation using the southbound tunnel.
• HIGH IMPACT – Warren Road Bridge over Loch Raven Reservoir (BALTIMORE CITY OWNED BRIDGE) – Emergency bridge repair – Road closed until late-summer. Motorists encouraged to use MD 145 (Paper Mill Road).
• Eastbound Padonia Road ramp to northbound I-83 – Ramp closure for bridge replacement project – Motorists will be guided to Deerco Road to the I-83/Timonium Road interchange.
• HIGH-IMPACT – (MDTA Project) – Bradshaw Road Bridge over I-95 – Bridge rehabilitation project – Bridge to close and traffic detoured until spring 2020.
• MD 273 (Telegraph Road) Bridge over Big Elk Creek – Bridge replacement project – Temporary traffic signal to alternate traffic in single lane until spring 2020.
• MD 478 (Knoxville Road) Bridge over Branch of the Potomac River – Bridge replacement project – On February 25, MD 478 will close through fall 2019. Local traffic will have access up to the point of the bridge closure. Through motorists will be detoured to MD 17 (Petersville Road/Burkittsville Road) to MD 180 (Jefferson Pike) and back to MD 478. Motorists may also choose US 340 as an alternate route.
• Eastbound US 40 Alternate (Old National Pike) between Fern Lane and Ridge Road – Roadside slope repair – Right truck “climbing” lane and shoulder closed until late-spring 2019.
Prince George’s County
• HIGH-IMPACT – Southbound I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) ramp to eastbound MD 214 (Central Avenue) – Bridge replacement project – Total ramp closure with traffic using the Capital Beltway/MD 202 (Largo Road) interchange and then to MD 214 via MD 202.
MAJOR Closures for Next Week
• HIGH-IMPACT – Padonia Road under the I-83 Bridges – Bridge replacement project – Beginning May 5 Padonia Road to be closed occasionally overnights for bridge demolition phase between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Motorists will be guided to the I-83/Timonium Road interchange and back to NB I-83 to Padonia Road. These occasional overnight closures are expected to last until late-May.
• HIGH IMPACT – Inner loop I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) between Old Harford Road and Lillian Holt Drive (prior to I-95) – Resurfacing – Single and double lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Once inner loop is complete, crews will switch to the outer loop. new
• HIGH IMPACT – Inner loop (southbound) I-695 (Baltimore Beltway/Patapsco Freeway) between Merritt Boulevard and MD 151 (North Point Blvd.) – Resurfacing – Single lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Project should be complete by Memorial Day.
• MD 145 (Sweet Air Road) between Manor Road and Patterson Road – Resurfacing – Daytime single lane closures between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• HIGH-IMPACT – MD 2/4 (Solomons Island Road) between Coster Mill Bridge Road and Calvert Cliff Parkway AND between MD 264 (Broomes Island Road) and MD 231 (Hallowing Point Road) – Resurfacing – Nighttime signal lane closures between 9:00 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Work is expected to be complete early summer.
MD 31 (New Windsor Road) between Tahoma Farm Road and MD 140 (Taneytown Pike) – Resurfacing – MD 31 will close from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Motorists will be detoured to from MD 31 to WMC Drive to access MD 140 and MD 31. The project will be complete by the end of June. new
• HIGH-IMPACT – MD 28 (Dickerson Road) Bridge over the Monocacy River – Bridge rehabilitation– Single lane closure (24/7) guided by temporary traffic signal. Temporary traffic signal will be in effect beginning Monday, June 3. MDOT SHA will close and detour MD 28 the weekend of June 1 and 2 to place concrete barrier associated with the project. new
• MD 75 (Green Valley Road) between Baldwin Road and Old New Market Road, including I-70 ramps – Resurfacing/pavement repair – Single lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. There will also be temporary ramps closures and detours at the I-70/MD 75 interchange. Traffic will be guided to the I-70/MD 27 interchange and back to the I-70/MD 75 interchange as the detour route.
• MD 216 (Scaggsville Road) at Old Columbia Road – Park and ride resurfacing – Half of the park and ride (200 spaces) will be closed starting at 8 a.m. May 28. Once the half is complete, crews will shift to the other half. This project should be complete mid-June. new
• MD 144A (Frederick Road) between MD 97 (Roxbury Mills Road) and US 40 (Baltimore National Pike) – Pavement patching and repair – Single lane closure Mondays through Fridays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. Project should be complete early-June.
• US 29 (Colesville Road) between MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) and St. Andrews Way (near Sligo Creek Parkway) – Resurfacing – Single lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) between north of Goldmine Road and south of Holiday Drive – Bypass construction – Single lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• US 29 (Colesville Road) between I-495 (Capital Beltway) and MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) – WSSC water line replacement project – Single and double lane closures Mondays through Fridays between 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Sundays through Friday mornings between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Single lane closures Saturday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Prince George’s County
• Southbound US 301 (Crain Highway) between Peerless Avenue and the MD State Police truck scales (near Village Drive) – Resurfacing – On Monday, April 22, crews will begin paving in the southbound direction. Once complete, crews will mill and pave the northbound lanes of US 301. Crews will work from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Project should be complete early summer.
• MD 632 (Downsville Pike) between I-70 and the Hagerstown City limits – Pavement repair/resurfacing – Single lane closures during patching and milling between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Paving will take place between 6 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. Project should be complete mid-summer. new
• Westbound I-70 Bridge over I-81 (mainline and acceleration/deceleration road bridges) – Paving operations for last phase of the bridge replacement – Single lane closures and temporary ramp closures and detours Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
• I-81 between the Potomac River Bridge (West Virginia line) and MD 68/MD 63 (Lappans Road) – Highway widening project – Left lane closures Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. There may be occasional, brief total closures to move equipment and material into place between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.
• US 50 (Ocean Gateway) Bridge over Sinepuxent Bay (Harry Kelley Memorial Bridge) – Bridge repair – Single lane closures guided by a flagging operation Mondays through Fridays between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II