News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-20-2, 2-13-1 CAC) took on the visiting No. 12 Salisbury University Sea Gulls on Monday (Apr. 22) afternoon and were edged 3-1 in Capital Athletic Conference action.
How It Happened
- After a quick three innings of scoreless baseball, the Sea Gulls put the first run up on the board for a slim 1-0 advantage. Salisbury built their lead in the fifth inning, tacking on two more runs for a 3-0 advantage over the Seahawks.
- St. Mary’s College finally pushed across their first run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning. Derek Taitano lined a RBI single to center field, scoring Dan McCann to trim the Sea Gull lead to two. The bottom of the ninth inning had a promising start for the Seahawks as Bowen Plagge singled for a leadoff runner. However, a strikeout and double play ended any chances of a comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Plagge led the Seahawks from the plate with two hits in four trips to the plate. D. Taitano, Andy Collins, and Tyler Taitanorecorded one hit each.
- Dillon Waters started the game on the mound and was charged with the loss. However, D. Waters threw seven innings, allowing just three earned runs and striking out seven batters. Mark Smith and Plagge pitched in relief and held the Sea Gulls scoreless.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 23 vs. Salisbury – 12:00 p.m. (DH) | Hawk’s Nest
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II