Scotland, MD- On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 5:55 p.m., the St. Mary’s County 9-1-1 dispatch was alerted to a kitchen fire in a single family home of Cornfield Road in Scotland, MD. The Ridge Volunteer Fire Department responded with twenty firefighters and had the fire under control in five minutes.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate and determined the fire was the result of unattended cooking appliances and labeled accidental. The Fire Marshal’s report lists loss of structure at $20,000.00 and contents at $10,000.00.
The family was notified of the fire by working a smoke detector and exited the building unharmed. However, four cats, and four dogs perished as a result. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II