News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (5-7-1, 0-4 CAC) fell to the visiting No. 2 Christopher Newport University Captains 18-1 on Saturday (Mar. 23) afternoon in game one of the three game series.
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the second inning. Next, the Seahawks tallied the lone run of the day in the bottom of the inning when Dakota Merritt made contact for a RBI single, plating Joey Bryner.
- The Seahawks struggled to create any offense the rest of the way and couldn’t shut down the Captains offense on the windy afternoon.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks recorded four hits on the afternoon as Dillon Waters, Merritt, Andrew Atkins, and Bryner all tallied one base hit each.
- St. Mary’s College used five pitchers in the contest with Jackson Edelman starting the game. Edelman pitched three innings, allowing four earned runs and was charged with the loss. Will Spanoghe, Ben Webster, Jake Wills, and Kelli Jenkins all pitched in relief. Webster led the pitching staff with three strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 24 vs. Christopher Newport – 12:00 p.m. (DH) | Hawk’s Nest