News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (5-7-1, 0-4 CAC) fell to the visiting No. 2 Christopher Newport University Captains 18-1 on Saturday (Mar. 23) afternoon in game one of the three game series.
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the second inning. Next, the Seahawks tallied the lone run of the day in the bottom of the inning when Dakota Merritt made contact for a RBI single, plating Joey Bryner.
- The Seahawks struggled to create any offense the rest of the way and couldn’t shut down the Captains offense on the windy afternoon.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks recorded four hits on the afternoon as Dillon Waters, Merritt, Andrew Atkins, and Bryner all tallied one base hit each.
- St. Mary’s College used five pitchers in the contest with Jackson Edelman starting the game. Edelman pitched three innings, allowing four earned runs and was charged with the loss. Will Spanoghe, Ben Webster, Jake Wills, and Kelli Jenkins all pitched in relief. Webster led the pitching staff with three strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 24 vs. Christopher Newport – 12:00 p.m. (DH) | Hawk’s Nest
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II