Image courtesy of The Office of the State Fire Marshal

Accidental electrical fire causes $100K in damage to Waldorf home

By: David Higgins II

Waldorf, MD- On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. the 9-1-1 Center was alerted to a fir on Saltbrush Court in Waldorf, MD. The Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department arrived with six personal. Upon arrival the fire was determined to be extinguished.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal arrived to investigate.

The accidental fire in the attached garage of the home was due to an electrical failure of an extension cord.  The garage was not protected by a sprinkler system.  The fire burned through an interior wall into a small bathroom which was protected by a sprinkler system.  The sprinkler in the bathroom activated and extinguished the fire.

The Fire Marshal estimated the damage to be $75,000.00 in structural damage and a loss of contents at $25, 000.00.

There were no injuries to report and the family was not displaced.



David M. Higgins II

David M. Higgins was born in Baltimore and grew up in Southern Maryland. He has had a passion for journalism since high school. After spending many years in the Hospitality Industry he began working in Digital Marketing, eventually leading him back to his passion. David started The Southern Maryland Chronicle in December 2017 and has grown it to become the #1 news source in Southern Maryland.

David M. Higgins II has 11248 posts and counting. See all posts by David M. Higgins II