News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
BUENA VISTA, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball (10-15, 4-10 CAC) wrapped up their regular season schedule with a victory at Southern Virginia (4-21, 0-14 CAC) on Saturday (Feb. 16) afternoon. The Seahawks defeated the Knights 75-71 in Capital Athletic Conference play.
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College started the game with a quick 6-0 lead, thanks to some sharp shooting from beyond the three-point arch fromZach SpoonerandReggie Rouse. The Seahawks held their lead for the rest of the half and took a 40-31 lead into the locker rooms.
- Southern Virginia made halftime adjustments and went on a 12-2 run to start the second half for a 43-42 lead. The Knights held a slim 67-65 advantage with 3:31 remaining in regulation before the Seahawks started a six point scoring burst to secure a 70-67 lead.Spooner,Rouse, andJustin Milsteadrecorded scores during the run. The Knights cut the Seahawk lead to one and started to resort to fouling. Southern Virginia sentMatt AyoubandRouseto the charity stripe where they converted on their free throws to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Milsteadled the Seahawks on the offensive end with a career best 23 points.Milsteadalso brought down six rebounds.AyoubfollowedMilsteadwith 17 points, while recording two rebounds, one steal and one assist.
- RouseandNaheed Johnled St. Mary’s College with two steals each.
- Tyler McCreadieled the Knights with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 16 at York – Capital Athletic Conference Championship First Round – 7:00 p.m.