News Release, Office of Democrat Majority Leader Steny Hoyer(D-Md)
President Trump said he would be proud to shut down the government and that he would own it. Thirty-three days into this Trump shutdown, poll after poll shows he does own it. The American people overwhelmingly believe the President is responsible for the shutdown and agree with Democrats that the government needs to be reopened now.
A Morning Consult/Politico poll released January 23 found President Trump’s disapproval has hit a record high.
- 57% of Americans disapprove of President Trump’s job performance, the highest point since he was inaugurated.
- 54% of voters blame President Trump and Congressional Republicans for the government shutdown.
A NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey released January 17 found that President Trump’s approval rating is falling and showed cracks in his base support.
- President Trump’s approval rating fell 7 points since December, “and the movement has come from within key portions of his base.” For example:
- His apprval rating among Republicans fell a net 10 points.
- His apprval rating among suburban men fell a net 18 points.
- The percentage of people who strongly disapprove of the job President Trump is doing is up to 45%, the highest since December 2017.
A Washington Post/ABC poll released January 13 found more Americans blame President Trump and Congressional Republicans than Congressional Democrats for the shutdown.
- 53% of Americans say President Trump and Congressional Republicans are to blame for the shutdown.
- By more than a 2-1 margin (66% to 31%), Americans oppose President Trump invoking an emergency to build a border wall.
A CNN poll released January 13 also found a majority of Americans hold the President responsible for the shutdown, and his disapproval rating has increased by five points in the last month.
- 55% of the public blames President Trump for the shutdown.
- The President’s approval rating stands at 37% approve to 57% disapprove, with disapproval rising by five points since December.
A Quinnipiac poll released January 14 found that a strong majority of Americans support reopening government while border security negotiations continue.
- 63% of Americans support Democrats’ proposal to reopen parts of the government that do not involve border security while negotiating funding for the wall.
- 56% say President Trump and Congressional Republicans are responsible for the shutdown.
- 59% say that a border wall is not a good use of taxpayer dollars.
- 55% say that a border wall would not make the U.S. safer.
- 59 % say that a border wall is not necessary to protect the border.
- 52% say that a border wall is against American values.
A NPR/Ipsos poll released January 11 found that Americans believe the shutdown is embarrassing and will hurt the country.
- 74% of Americans believe the shutdown is embarrassing, including majorities from both paries.
- About 7-in-10 Americans say the shutdown is going to hurt the country.
It’s time for President Trump and Congressional Republicans to stop holding the government hostage, and instead work with Democrats to reopen government and end this Trump shutdown.
Click here to read the PDF.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II