News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (6-9, 0-4 CAC) dropped a back and forth CAC contest at York (Pa.) (10-5, 3-1 CAC). The Seahawks fell to the Spartans 83-76.
How It Happened
- The first half of the contest was action packed and extremely competitive as the Seahawks and Spartans played to 11 different lead changes. St. Mary’s jumped out to a 13-8 lead off of five consecutive points. Phil Newsome sunk a layup and Naheed Johndrained a three to break the 8-8 tie.
- Later in the half, St. Mary’s and York played to a 24-24 tie with 6:13 remaining in the first stanza. Shortly after, the Seahawks strung together six consecutive points to pull ahead of the Spartans 30-24. Daquan Staley tallied four points during the run and Newsomerecorded two. St. Mary’s held their lead and took a slim 39-37 advantage into halftime.
- Much like the first, the second half was back and forth with several lead changes. St. Mary’s started strong with a 5-0 run to gain a 44-37 lead. Reggie Rouse began the scoring with a long range three-pointer and Staley followed with a layup.
- York answered later in the second half with a 15-5 run with 13:18 remaining for a 55-48 lead. The Seahawks continued to play tough and eventually regained a 69-67 lead off a Matt Ayoub layup at the 4:09 mark. Once again, York responded with back-to-back three-pointers from Joey Polczynski and Jared Wagner for a 73-69 lead over the Seahawks.
- The Spartans kept their lead and made their free throws down the stretch for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Spencer Shultz led the Seahawks with 17 points, nine rebounds, two steals and one assist.
- Rouse had his best game of the season, knocking down 16 points and dishing out four assists.
- York had three players reach double-digits in scoring including Polczynski (24 points), Wagner (23 points), and Darin Gordon (14 points).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 16 vs. Mary Washington (11-4, 3-1 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference contest – 8:00 p.m.