Press Release, Charles County Government
On Tuesday, Jan. 8, the Board of Commissioners approved Commissioner Bobby Rucci (District 4) to serve as Commissioner Vice President for the Board’s entire four-year term. The Commissioners also approved revisions to the Board of County Commissioners Rules of Procedures to be consistent with the type of government Charles County Government is under, as well as new procedures that enable the Vice President to be appointed to serve all four years in that role.
On Wednesday, Jan. 9, the Board of Commissioners met with leaders at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Indian Head Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division. Discussion included anticipated job growth, economic development, and partnerships to encourage revitalization in the area.
Open Session Briefings
- Commissioners rejected the Bill 2018-10, which would add the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) to the Board of Fire and Rescue, after the IAFF withdrew their request for membership.
- Department of Public Works provided a department briefing on the county’s Inclement Weather and Snow Removal policies and procedures.
- Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services staff provided a department briefing on the roles and responsibilities of the Budget, Treasury, Information Technology, Accounting, and Purchasing Divisions.
- Commissioner Bobby Rucci and Director of Planning and Growth Management Steve Kaii-Ziegler opened discussion with the Commissioners on options to quicken the permitting process, specifically the Fire Marshall step. Options suggested included hiring a certified Fire Marshall or creating a Fire Marshall division within County Government. Due to the unique skill set required for Fire Marshalls and the funding needed for county positions, staff is in the process of further assessing operations and intends to report back to the Commissioners in the next four weeks.
- Commissioners assigned Commissioner Thomasina O. Coates (District 2) to the College of Southern Maryland Diversity Institute’s Diversity Forum and Commissioner Gilbert O. Bowling, III (District 1) to Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland’s Executive Board and Veterans Regional Advisory Committee.
- Commissioners approved the Fiscal 2019 Budget Transfer Request #6383 of $500,000, which will fund the centrifuge design services for the Mattawoman Wastewater Treatment Plant Belt Filter Press Replacement.
- Commissioners approved the Fiscal 2019 Budget Transfer Request #6378 of $45,880 to cover the cost of the Economic Development Department’s two part-time Business Retention and Expansion Consultants for an additional six months.
- Appointed John Zanelotti as chairperson for the Board of Electrical Examiners.
- Appointed Ralph Patterson to the Ethics Commission.
- Commissioners recognized all County Government employees who provided support for the Oath of Office ceremony on December 4, 2018. View the photo inFlickr.
- Commissioners visited the Charles County Board of Education in recognition of Charles County High Schools’ Pages to the Maryland General Assembly for the 2019 Legislative Session.
Next Commissioners Meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 15, beginning at 9 a.m.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II