Press Release, Charles County Government
On Tuesday, Jan. 8, the Board of Commissioners approved Commissioner Bobby Rucci (District 4) to serve as Commissioner Vice President for the Board’s entire four-year term. The Commissioners also approved revisions to the Board of County Commissioners Rules of Procedures to be consistent with the type of government Charles County Government is under, as well as new procedures that enable the Vice President to be appointed to serve all four years in that role.
On Wednesday, Jan. 9, the Board of Commissioners met with leaders at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Indian Head Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division. Discussion included anticipated job growth, economic development, and partnerships to encourage revitalization in the area.
Open Session Briefings
- Commissioners rejected the Bill 2018-10, which would add the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) to the Board of Fire and Rescue, after the IAFF withdrew their request for membership.
- Department of Public Works provided a department briefing on the county’s Inclement Weather and Snow Removal policies and procedures.
- Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services staff provided a department briefing on the roles and responsibilities of the Budget, Treasury, Information Technology, Accounting, and Purchasing Divisions.
- Commissioner Bobby Rucci and Director of Planning and Growth Management Steve Kaii-Ziegler opened discussion with the Commissioners on options to quicken the permitting process, specifically the Fire Marshall step. Options suggested included hiring a certified Fire Marshall or creating a Fire Marshall division within County Government. Due to the unique skill set required for Fire Marshalls and the funding needed for county positions, staff is in the process of further assessing operations and intends to report back to the Commissioners in the next four weeks.
- Commissioners assigned Commissioner Thomasina O. Coates (District 2) to the College of Southern Maryland Diversity Institute’s Diversity Forum and Commissioner Gilbert O. Bowling, III (District 1) to Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland’s Executive Board and Veterans Regional Advisory Committee.
- Commissioners approved the Fiscal 2019 Budget Transfer Request #6383 of $500,000, which will fund the centrifuge design services for the Mattawoman Wastewater Treatment Plant Belt Filter Press Replacement.
- Commissioners approved the Fiscal 2019 Budget Transfer Request #6378 of $45,880 to cover the cost of the Economic Development Department’s two part-time Business Retention and Expansion Consultants for an additional six months.
- Appointed John Zanelotti as chairperson for the Board of Electrical Examiners.
- Appointed Ralph Patterson to the Ethics Commission.
- Commissioners recognized all County Government employees who provided support for the Oath of Office ceremony on December 4, 2018. View the photo inFlickr.
- Commissioners visited the Charles County Board of Education in recognition of Charles County High Schools’ Pages to the Maryland General Assembly for the 2019 Legislative Session.
Next Commissioners Meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 15, beginning at 9 a.m.