California, MD- At 11:36 p.m. on December 20, 2018 a 9-1-1 dispatch was sent out for a commercial structure fire at the San Souci Shopping Center on MacArthur Blvd.
The first due company was the Bay District Fire Department arriving with 50 personnel.
The State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate. The preliminary cause is listed as accidental with are of origin being an electrical malfunction OUTSIDE of the vacant storefront.
Multiple adjoining stores suffered smoke damage as well. The Fire Marshal lists the loss at $25,000.00 for the structure.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II