By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamaica, N.Y. – Junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) picked up Tournament MVP honors Saturday afternoon as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team captured the York (N.Y.) College Invitational. St. Mary’s (4-6) posted a 76-64 win over the host York Cardinals (4-7) for its second straight victory in a row. In addition, junior guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team.
How It Happened
- Schultz scored seven of the team’s first 10 points for an early 10-5 Seahawk lead in the first four minutes. York responded by outscoring St. Mary’s, 24-10, over the next nine and a half minutes to stake a 29-20 advantage.
- Rouse knotted the game at 31-31 with 2:16 remaining before the Cardinals notched the final four points of the half for a 35-31 edge at the break.
- York doubled its lead in the first two minutes of the second stanza before the Seahawks answered back with an 11-2 run to reclaim the lead at 14:52. First-year guard Zach Spooner (Washington, D.C./St. John’s College) tallied the final seven points of the run.
- The Cardinals rallied with a 10-2 run of their own to rebuild a seven-point advantage at 11:46 and that would be York’s last lead of the game.
- St. Mary’s then outscored the Cardinals, 30-11, the rest of the way to secure its fourth win of the season as junior guard Matt Ayoub(Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) sparked the run with a triple.
Inside the Box Score
- This is the second game St. Mary’s has won by a double-digit margin this season. The Seahawks also hauled in a season-best 47 rebounds for the second time this year, winning the rebounding battle by a 47-35 margin.
- Schultz poured in a game- and career-best 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the floor and 7-of-10 at the charity stripe. He picked up his third double-double of the season with 10 rebounds.
- First-year forward Naheed John (Rockville, Md./Massanutten Military [Va.]) grabbed a game- and season-high 11 boards while adding four points and a block.
- Rouse contributed seven dimes, six points, four caroms, and a season-high four steals.
- Darin Dove paced the Cardinals with 22 points and six rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 17 vs. Greensboro (1-7) – Michael P. O’Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – 3:00 p.m
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II