By Nairem Moran · [email protected]
St. Mary’s City, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team suffered a gut-wrenching loss in their Capital Athletic Conference opener Saturday afternoon. St. Mary’s (2-6, 0-1 CAC) dropped a 96-94 decision to Salisbury University (7-0, 1-0 CAC) as the Seahawks battled in their fourth game of the season decided by four or fewer points. Today also marks St. Mary’s first 90-point performance of the 2018-19 campaign.
St. Mary’s 96, Salisbury 94
How It Happened
- Salisbury erased a 53-46 deficit with an 8-0 run early in the second half to reclaim the lead on a James Foley layup at 18:13. From there, the lead seesawed between the two teams as neither side led by more than five points the rest of the way.
- The Seahawks owned a 90-87 lead at 1:35 as junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md. /Clear Spring) made the first of the two foul shots. Gary Briddell then drained a three-point shot to return the advantage to Salisbury, a lead the Sea Gulls would not relinquish as the visitors closed out the game on a 9-3 run to remain undefeated and open up conference play with a win.
- St. Mary’s headed into halftime with a five-point advantage as the Seahawks ended the first half on a 12-4 run over the final 2:37 of the half. First-year wing Zack Spooner (Washington, D.C./St. John’s) notched five of the team’s 12 points in the closing push.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary’s received double-figure scoring performances from five Seahawks. The Seahawks shot a season-high 56.7-percent from the field, including 9-of-18 from downtown. St. Mary’s also registered a season-best 26 dimes on 34 field goals.
- Schultz and junior guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) led the way with 22 points each while Schultz grabbed seven rebounds and three assists and Ayoub added three boards and two helpers.
- Spooner finished the afternoon with season-highs of 13 points and four caroms while junior guard Justin Milstead (Fort Washington, Md./IDEA Charter) contributed a dozen points.
- Junior guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) dropped career-bests of 12 assists and seven rebounds while junior forward Rodney Christian (Randallstown, Md./Sherwood) scored in double-digits for the second straight game with 10 to go along with three boards.
- Blair Davis led a contingent of five Sea Gulls in double-digit scoring with a game-high 26 points and seven helpers while Mike Ward tallied 17 on 6-of-8 shooting with four triples off the bench.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 14 vs. St. Vincent (7-1) – Jamaica, N.Y. (York (N.Y.) Invitational) – 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 15 at York (N.Y.) Invitational Consolation/Championship – 1:00/3:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb