St. Mary’s City, Md. – Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) tallied a goal and two assists as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team returned to the win column Saturday afternoon. St. Mary’s (5-1-2), who landed sixth in this week’s South Atlantic region rankings, rolled to a 6-0 shutout of DeSales University (4-3-1).
St. Mary’s 6, DeSales 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks used three goals in each half and goalkeepers Patrick Paolini (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) and Kyle Berkowitz(Riva, Md./South River) combined for the team’s fourth shutout of the season.
- St. Mary’s dominated the game with a 25-7 shot advantage and a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Junior forward Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) started the scoring for St. Mary’s with his fifth of the season in the 22nd minute, splitting two defenders after receiving a long pass from junior midfielder Anoi Hindle (Huntingtown, Md./Huntingtown).
- The Seahawks went up 2-0 in the 33rd minute when Balogun made good on a free kick from 20 yards out for his team-leading seventh goal of the season.
- St. Mary’s headed into halftime with a 3-0 advantage after junior midfielder Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) found the back of the net with four minutes left in the half off an assist from Balogun.
- Less than five minutes into the second period, sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) netted his first goal as a Seahawk. Panton tapped in a cross from Balogun at the far post.
- Senior defender Pascal Iraola (Kensington, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase) picked up his first career goal at 74:26 as Iraola converted a penalty kick for the 5-0 lead.
- Sophomore forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) notched his second of 2018 in the 87th minute after chest-trapping the ball and bicycle-kicking it into the top right corner.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (1 goal, 2 assists); McRobie (1 goal); Moore (1 goal); Panton (1 goal); Iraola (1 goal); Ekobo (1 goal); Hindle (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Paolini (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 81:29); Berkowitz (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 8:31)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: TJ Corcoran (2 saves, 4 goals allowed, 53:18); Jake McKinney (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 36:42)
- Today’s victory breaks a 1-1 draw in the series history. DeSales (formerly known as Allentown) won the first meeting 2-0 in 1984 before the Seahawks answered back with a 1-0 triumph in 1994.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 24 at Washington Adventist (2-2) – Takoma Park, Md. – 5:00 p.m.
- St. Mary’s and Washington Adventist have met on seven previous occasions when WAU was Columbia Union College. The Seahawks won all seven meetings and outscored them, 39-6.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II