St. Mary’s City, Md. – After a weeklong layoff, the St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s soccer team was back at it again Sunday afternoon in Seahawk Stadium. St. Mary’s (3-3-0) looked to stretch its win streak to four but the visiting Haverford College Fords (2-2-0) had other ideas, pulling out a 1-0 non-conference win.
St. Mary’s 0, Haverford 1
How It Happened
- Action occurred between the penalty boxes in the first half as neither side could generate a sustainable offense. Haverford posted a 3-2 edge in shots as well as a 2-1 margin in corner kicks as the two teams headed into halftime in a scoreless stalemate.
- Haverford broke through early in the second half when Sydney West played in a corner kick from the right side, which bounced around in the box before Kendra Griesman corralled the loose ball and chipped it in for her second of the season at 47:42.
- The Seahawks fired off four shots over the final 45 minutes, two of which Hannah Friedrich turned away.
- The Fords outshot St. Mary’s, 11-6, and tallied a 7-1 advantage in corner kicks for the match.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Katie Flores (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: Griesman (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Ali Weiner (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 45:00); Hannah Friedrich (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00)
- Today’s loss snapped St. Mary’s three-game win streak.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 19 at Lynchburg (5-1) – Lynchburg, Va. (Shellenberger Field) – 5:00 p.m.
By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II