Did you see a lot of snow this winter? Spot a pollinator up close? Spend some time in a park or out on the water? Watch the leaves turn brilliant oranges and reds?
The 2018 Maryland Natural Resource photo contest is open through Aug. 31. Enter your best shots online or through the mail. Instructions, rules and other details are available here.
First, second and third place winners will be selected for each of the four seasons featuring any of the following subjects:
- BIRDS: Easily our most popular category, with 400+ species to choose from.
- FLORA: Impress us with your macro lens or showcase fields of flowers.
- INSECTS: Another macro favorite, creepy crawlers make for interesting shots.
- LANDSCAPES: From the mountains to the bays and all the unique scenes in between.
- RECREATION: We love seeing people enjoy the great outdoors! Biking, boating, camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, surfing—you name it, we want to see it!
- WEATHER & WONDER: Natural phenomena like deep freezes, fog, lightning storms, rainbows, shooting stars and super moons.
- WILDLIFE: Amphibians, mammals, reptiles—oh my!
Selected photos will be featured in our 2019 wall calendar. One lucky grand prize winner will receive $500, a 2019 park passport, a 5-year magazine subscription and five calendars with winning image on the cover.
Additional prizes include:
- First Place: A 2019 park passport, 2-year magazine subscription, five calendars
- Second Place: A 1-year magazine subscription, five calendars
- Third Place: One calendar
A “Fan Favorite” will also be selected by our Facebook followers after the contest closes.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at email@example.com
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II