This list will updated as the information comes in from County Governments, and businesses.
St. Mary’s County
Leonardtown, MD – Due to the potential impact of the approaching winter storm, the St. Mary’s County Public Schools’ evening activities on Friday, December 8, beginning or ongoing after 6
p.m. are cancelled. All activities and events scheduled to occur on Saturday, December 9 and Sunday, December 10, are cancelled. All schools and facilities will be closed.
- All St. Mary’s County Library locations (Charlotte Hall, Leonardtown & Lexington Park) are closed on Saturday, December 9. Lexington Park Library will open for normal business (1 – 5
p.m.) on Sunday, December 10.
- The six (6) Convenience Centers and St. Andrews Landfill will be closed until noon on Saturday, December 9.
St. Mary’s County Recreation and Parks Cancels Activities
- Due to the approaching winter storm, St. Mary’s County Recreation & Parks Department will close all facilities and programs starting by 6:00 p.m. tonight, Friday, December 8 through Saturday, December 9. This closure also includes all youth basketball practices scheduled in St. Mary’s County public schools. Practices are cancelled for tonight and
through the weekend.
- The R&P facilities include the following: Leonard Hall Rec Center, Margaret Brent Rec Center, Carver Rec Center, Hollywood Rec Center, Chancellor’s Run, Gymnastics Center, Great Mills
Swimming Pool, Wicomico Shores Golf Course & Riverview Restaurant, Piney Point Lighthouse and St. Clements Museums.
- Department of Aging and Human Services canceled the EnhanceFitness exercise class being held at the Northern Senior Activity Center on Saturday, December 9 at 9:00 a.m.
- Due to the winter storm, St. Mary’s Transit System (STS) will suspend transportation operations at 6:00 p.m. this evening, December 8. STS services will resume on
Sunday, December 10. St. Mary’s Transit System (STS) will suspend operations all day Saturday, December 9. STS service will resume on Sunday, December 10.
Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department
- Due to inclement weather, and safety reason, Santa will not be making it to the Breton Bay, and Avenmar neighborhoods tonight. Re-scheduled for Saturday December 16th. Thank you for your patience. Merry Christmas!
- Due to the current Winter Weather Advisory in effect, Historic Sotterley will be making the announcement around 5 pm today as to the postponement or cancellation of Saturday’s events. Please follow us here on Facebook for updates! Questions? Call 301.373.2280!
- For the safety of our guests, we will be CANCELLING Santa’s Table and Home for the Holidays for Saturday, December 9th. Please stay tuned to see if conditions are safe enough for us to host Home for the Holidays on Sunday, December 10th.For all those who have purchased tickets for Santa’s Table, you will be receiving an email from us directly.
St. Leonard Volunteer Fire Department
- Due to impending inclement weather, BINGO is cancelled for tonight.
Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department
- Due to inclement weather Santa has postponed his visit to Joy Ln, Pappy’s Way, Hugh Dr, and Jones Wharf Rd. Please check back later for when Santa will visit those areas.
Anne Arundel County
- Due to the updated forecast calling for accumulating snow beginning late tonight and continuing into tomorrow, all school-sponsored activities scheduled for Saturday, December 9, are canceled. This includes ACT administration at Meade and Southern high schools, and the magnet program auditions and interviews at Bates Middle School. Activities scheduled for this evening, Friday, December 8, will go on as scheduled. For the status of any activity sponsored by an agency other than Anne Arundel County Public Schools, please check with that agency.
College of Southern Maryland(All Campuses)
- Campus Advisory for Saturday, December 9 :: All CSM campuses will be closed on Saturday, Dec. 9 with activities canceled due to weather forecasts.
- All CCPS activities for Dec. 9 and Dec. 10 canceled
- Due to winter weather warnings, all weekend activities (Saturday, Dec. 9 and Sunday, Dec. 10) for Charles County Public Schools are canceled. This includes any activities at our schools, all field trips originating in Charles County and the ACT at Westlake High School. Students scheduled to take the ACT will receive notification of the rescheduled date by mail or email.
Recreation, Tourism, and Parks Cancels Activities for Dec. 9 -10
- Due to inclement weather forecasts, the Department of Recreation, Tourism, and Parks has canceled all activities for Saturday, Dec. 9 and Sunday, Dec. 10. This includes all school based community centers, Elite Gymnastics and the Port Tobacco Recreation Center.
Tri-County Animal Shelter
- Due to inclement weather, the Tri-County Animal Shelter (6707 Animal Shelter Rd, Hughesville) will be closed on Saturday, Dec. 9.
Get the latest Charles County severe weather updates:
Charles County Government website: www.CharlesCountyMD.gov
Charles County Government Television (CCGTV): Comcast channel 95 or Verizon channel 10
SMECO Power Outage Map (Call 877-747-6326 to report an outage.)
Sign up for the Citizen Notification System (CNS), the county’s free emergency notification system, at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/CNS to receive weather, traffic, and road closure notices by text message, email, or phone. Call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
- Calvert County Public Schools Has Canceled All Activities At Schools This Weekend Due To Inclement Weather.
The Southern Maryland Chronicle is a local, small business entrusted to provide factual, unbiased reporting to the Southern Maryland Community. While we look to local businesses for advertising, we hope to keep that cost as low as possible in order to attract even the smallest of local businesses and help them get out to the public. We must also be able to pay employees(part-time and full-time), along with equipment, and website related things. We never want to make the Chronicle a “pay-wall” style news site.
To that end, we are looking to the community to offer donations. Whether it’s a one-time donation or you set up a reoccurring monthly donation. It is all appreciated. All donations at this time will be going to furthering the Chronicle through hiring individuals that have the same goals of providing fair, and unbiased news to the community. For now, donations will be going to a business PayPal account I have set-up for the Southern Maryland Chronicle, KDC Designs. All business transactions currently occur within this PayPal account. If you have any questions regarding this you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for all of your support and I hope to continue bringing Southern Maryland the best news possible for a very long time. — David M. Higgins II